• • To Register You Must Login (Click This Link or "Member Login" Above) • •
A non-refundable $20 fee applies toward the cost of the outing.
Cancellations that result in the club losing money will not receive a refund.
Smallmouth fishing on Scotts Flat Lake is best for fly fishers from late-March through early-June, depending on conditions. Typically, April and May are the peak months. Also available: Largemouth bass and big native browns on streamers fished deeply.
This is a joint-club outing with Grizzly Peak Fly Fishers as an overnight campout. Note: this outing will adhere to the stricter of Covid-19 requirements of the two clubs as the time of the outing.
DVFF will have one campsite that will allow for 5 campers and two cars. Additional car parking is available for a fee. We will work out those details later. There is RV parking available but you are responsible for making the arrangements. If you make RV arrangements I will add you to the outing but you will not be charged the outing fee.
- Rod and Reel: 9foot/5-7wt, or bass fly rod
- Fly Line: Floating or Intermediate
- Leader: Straight or tapered 1x-3x depending on conditions, fly size, and preference
• Streamers - Chartreuse-and-white Clousers; Wooly Buggers and Leeches (olive and cinnamon colors); (Sizes 4-10)
• Terrestrials – Carpenter Ants and watch for others such as Termites
• Poppers/Sliders – Gurglers, Sneaky Petes, other favorite poppers
• Nymphs – Mid-size attractor nymphs such as Copper Johns, Hares Ears, Birds Nest, PT (for bass and trout)
Where to Look for Smallmouth:
• Submerged willows
• Rock walls
• inlet arm ( a very long way to kick)
• Watch for southwest winds, starting mid-to-late morning. Don't start your fishing downwind.
• Wear a PFD
• Carry a loud whistle and flashlight
Fees additional fees apply for boat ramp use and additional car parking.
North Side: Day Use Area or Marina
South Side: Cascade Shores
Directions from Bay Area:
1. Take I-80 E toward RENO.
2. Take the CA-49 exit toward GRASS VALLEY / PLACERVILLE.
3. Turn LEFT onto CA-193 / CA-49. Continue to follow CA-49 N. 2
4. CA-49 N becomes CA-20
5. Turn RIGHT onto Scotts Flat Road (just before the Five Mile House restaurant on the right.
6. End at 23333 Scotts Flat Rd
Nevada City, CA 95959-9173
Warning: In the past, GPS systems have taken users down the wrong road once near the lake. If you follow the directions above, you will get there. There is a kiosk, but sometimes you need to pay at a trailer past the kiosk, on the left.
Location and Contact Information: 23333 Scotts Flat Road - Nevada City, CA 95959
Reservations: (530) 265-5302 (for camping, including lakeside campsites)
NOTE: Fishmaster will prepay for site(s) next to GPFF group, sharing the outing.