DVFF Frank Harris Youth Scholarship
The annual DVFF Frank Harris Youth Fly Fishing Scholarship was established during 2019 in the memory of member Frank Harris, who was passionate about the value of getting kids outdoors and having fun through learning the skills of fly fishing and appreciating nature. Frank has one of the founders of the Bay Area Youth Fly Fishers program and was instrumental in its success. This is a fitting way to honor his legacy and his contributions to our Bay Area communities.
This annual scholarship covers the cost of attendance at The Fly Shop's five-day FishCamp™ at its well-established and beautiful Antelope Creek facility north of Redding, Calif. The scholarship is open to all girls and boys aged 10-13 residing in the San Francisco Bay Area.
For 2020, the DVFF will offer one scholarship for the week of June 15-19, 2020. The DVFF Scholarship Committee will award the scholarship within a week after of the application deadline of April 30, 2020. An alternate will also be chosen, in case the primary scholarship recipient cannot attend. It is our intent to continue this scholarship annually and would appreciate contributions to support this effort. Details on how to contribute will be provided separately.
DVFF Youth Scholarship Application (FishCamp)
Dates: Monday, June 15 to Friday, June 19, 2020
Check In: Campers are expected to arrive by 1:30 p.m. on Monday, June 15 to begin check in and get situated in their cabins. (Please ensure the student had lunch before drop off.) An introduction to FishCamp and an Orientation Slide Show begins at 2 p.m.
Graduation Ceremony: On the last day of camp (Friday, June 19, 2020), parents and family are invited to to attend the FishCamp graduation ceremony beginning at 10 a.m. FishCamp graduation involves “The Test,” in which campers demonstrate things they’ve learned during the course of the week. “The Test” is followed by an awards ceremony, then lunch. We encourage families to attend the graduation ceremonies, as this is a wonderful time to encourage and support the young anglers and fly tiers. Camp will close after lunch.
- Campers stay in state-of-the-art walled tent cabins nestled in grove of pine trees on Antelope Creek Ranch. Antelope Creek Ranch is located in the shadows of Mount Shasta about 40 minutes northeast of the town of Weed, California. It is a privately leased ranch with nearly two miles of stream and two lakes teeming with fish.
- All meals are provided, beginning with dinner Monday and through lunch on the last day of camp (Friday). We serve three savory, healthy meals each day, with plenty of snacks in between. Each meal has a few options for picky diets, but if you have very specific needs or dietary concerns, please give us a call well in advance of the week so that we can plan accordingly.
- All equipment for classes will be provided, including a variety of fly rods, reels, lines, leader, tippet, and flies.
- Each camper will receive a FishCamp t-shirt, hat, and a fanny pack with fly fishing tools and several flies.
- Campers also receive a comprehensive notebook that will be a permanent record of all the subjects that were covered in the classes and a handy reference for future use.
Emergency Contact Numbers:
- The Fly Shop: (800) 669-3474
- Antelope Creek Ranch: (530) 398-4755